Birth: 1688 in Stamford, Fairfield Co, Connecticut
1st Marriage: ABT 1723 to Sarah Husted
Birth of Son: 04 APR 1724
Name: Nathaniel Newman
Land: By November 1724, he owned property on the Mianus River in northwest Stamford, including a gristmill or corn mill.
Note: The gristmill at Newman Mills (41.1078481, -73.5877570), which stood on the east bank of the Mianus River from 1726 until 1969, when it was destroyed by arson.
Birth of Son: 28 MAY 1725
Name: Samuel Newman
Birth of Daughter: 24 AUG 1727
Name: Sarah Newman
Birth of Son: 08 JUL 1729
Name: Abraham Newman
Note: On 1 December 1729, Nathaniel Newman along with his brothers John Newman, Jonathan Newman and Thomas Newman, his brother-in-law Daniel Briggs, and Robert Harris, signed an agreement to build a sawmill “on the Mianus river about eight rods south of Nathaniel Newman’s dwelling house”.Newman Mills, a group of water-powered mills, which included a gristmill built in 1726 and operated until 1918, and a fulling mill, was a center of business activity in the Riverbank area of Stamford for two centuries.
Birth of Son: 03 JUN 1731
Name: Isaac Newman
Religion: In 1731, Nathaniel Newman was one of several residents of the northwestern part of the Town of Stamford who petitioned the General Assembly to establish a church at Stanwich, together with residents of the northeastern part of the Town of Greenwich.
Birth of Son: 01 SEP 1734
Name: Jacob Newman
Birth of Daughter: JUL 1739
Name: Lydia Newman
Birth of Son: 03 AUG 1743
Name: Israel Newman
Land: On 26 December 1760, Nathaniel Newman sold his home and his land on the east bank of the Mianus River (opposite present-day Newman Mills Park) and his interest in the gristmill to his son Israel Newman.
2nd Marriage: ABT 1765 to Rebecca ?
Death: 15 DEC 1773 in Stamford, Fairfield Co, Connecticut
Burial: Stanwich Congregational Church Cemetery, Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut
Note: No known marker
Click here to see parents: Thomas Newman and Mary Smith?
Friday, November 3, 1967
The Bridgeport Post (Bridgeport, Connecticut) · Page 14
Stamford Community Restoring Newman Mill Dating to 1726
The Newman Mill that was grinding flour for the Connecticut settlers in 1726 is presently being restored, by a Stamford community effort, so that it will grind again. Located on the Riverbank road on 7½ acres given to the city by the estate of the late Henry O. Havemeyer, the mill lies in the heart of the Mianus river preserve, said to be one of the most beautiful mill sites in the East. The primary purpose of the restoration is to provide an educational opportunity for school children to relive the everyday life of the early settlers and give them a better understanding of the beginnings of American industry. When the grist mill and other mills are restored and operating, the Stamford museum will conduct educational tours and will plan exhibits inside the mill. The restoration is being sponsored by the Stamford museum and Newman Mills Restoration, Inc. which was formed to obtain funds and other assistance not only for the grist mill but also for the reconstruction and relocation on the same property of any other buildings of historical significance. In pre-Revolutionary days when the Riverbank road was called the “mast path” because masts for the king’s navy were cut there, this piece of land was a busy industrial site. In addition to the grist mill, a saw mill was erected, a fulling mill and a blacksmith shop. The miller’s home and a small store were located on the same property. It is ultimately planned to restore all of these buildings. The mill machinery is in near operating condition with only minor parts missing, and the mill lane, yard, and dam are the same as they were almost 250 years ago. An engineer and recognized authority on mills surveyed the buildings and his favorable comments were the decisive factor in the decision to begin restoration. The mill became a community project with schools fabricating worn or missing parts for the mill and a boy scout troop cleaning up the grounds. Contractors, suppliers, engineers, architects contributed their services gratis toward the restoration. The Stamford museum archeological club will excavate sites of the other mills to learn what buildings and machinery remains.